Winter is here! Try our spice infused mulled wine to warm those cheeks!
Mulled wine, or glüwein, is a red wine based hot beverage traditionally drunk during winter time in Europe. This beverage has a long history stemming from the Roman conquest and the consumption has been recorded as early as 1390. It is usually prepared with various spices (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc), and sometimes dried fruits (apple, apricots, raisins) or sliced citrus.
For an easier preparation, why not try using Spiced Tea No.1 or No.2 for the spice mix, they not only have the spices used in the traditional mulled wine, but also has other ingredients that would give your version an added dimension in flavours. The special blends of botanicals also means you can add little to no sugar to get the same sweetness level.
- One bottle of Shiraz or merlot (use apple juice and apple cider version (a cup of each)
- 1 tablespoons of brown sugar per cup of wine; or 1/2 cup of sugar per cup of apple juice + cider
- 4-5 teaspoons of Spiced Tea No. 1 or No. 2, in 1-2 filter pouches per cup of liquids used
- Dry fruits, such as apples, pears, apricots or raisins (optional)
- Sliced oranges (optional)
- A splash of brandy or cognac
- Cinnamon sticks to serve (optional)
Pour the red wine in a pot. Add the sugar and the teas. Gently heat until slightly steamy (60-70C). Add a splash of brandy or cognac before serving.
For a spiced apple cider, replace wine with apple juice and apple cider (1 cup of each), and splash in extra cider, cognac or rum before serving.
For mulled wine, ladle it into a mug! Add more cognac or brandy to taste! Garnish with a twirly orange zest, and stir with a cinnamon stick to look suave!
For hot spiced apple cider, garnish with a thin slice of apple and cinnamon stick (to stir)